Saturday, May 3, 2008

Buffywatch: Neck Ruptures

I don't know why, but that ghastly line stuck with me (where Joyce is talking about how they've all lost friends to various means, including neck ruptures). The wonderful one-liners on Buffy never cease.

We're more than 1/2 way through Season 3 now. It's funny, it's deep, it's enthralling. The stories are great. Buffy goes through a lot in this season. I was sad to see Cordelia and Xander break up, humored to see Joyce and Giles temporarily hook up, happy to see Spike return for a moment, and am excited to see Angel grow stronger.

I still have a bit of a hard time with Angel. I was led to the series because of David Boreanaz and stayed because of the writing. DB is a far better actor now (and age has done him very, very well indeed) so it's still hard to watch him before he grew in his craft. Angel is far too dark for such a sunny, happy person and his short moments of comedy really shine.

Sarah Michelle Gellar is a really good actress, I believe. I didn't like her before watching Buffy. But she's perfect in the role and plays it very well. The humor, the sadness, the strength; nothing is beyond her ability.

I'm surprised to say it, but I think my favorite character, at least so far, is Cordelia. Charisma Carpenter delivers her lines beautifully and they give her some of the best scenes AND lines. The prom night fight scene where Cordelia has a spatula had me rolling and great lines "Now lets be clear. The brain damage happened before I hit you." give tense scenes great comedic value.

Xander is ever-funny, Willow does straight-funny and Giles and Oz are both deep AND funny. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to find this show.

So many scenes stand out in the episodes we've watched but it's hard to convey such a witty, on point show with a few lines of text. Simply put: it's worth the watch.

Even though it's a massive distraction...

No comments:

# Pieces Written

Scripts - 3

4 if you count re-writing Sleeping Beauty, Hillbilly-style, in High School

Novels- 1 + .1 + .7

Can I count my 14 or so mentally composted story ideas? No? Drat.

Short Stories - 2

I'll say two officially, so far (one of those still needs to be typed up)... I lost at least 2 of my old ones and I've wiped the slate clean.

Poems- 3...4? 42?

I won awards for 3. After that I lost count.