Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Books, Books

Two books arrived yesterday: Television Writing from the Inside Out by Larry Brody and Successful Television Writing by Lee Goldberg and William Rabkin. I've only been able to skim them thus far, but I've managed to take away something from each.

In the first book I pounced on a section about outlining since I'm currently teetering back and forth between refining my outline and the actual writing for the spec script. The few pages I saw made me feel good in that my story creation method is already good (organic, not linear). I'm sure the rest of it will be an awakening on how it could be so much better but reading that gave me a nice boost.

In the second book I've learned...that the authors wrote for Baywatch. Baywatch?! To be fair they also have written for Monk and Diagnosis Murder but the Baywatch stink just won't leave me. Sure, Baywatch had a plot...somewhere. But who actually remembers more than girls running on beaches and David Hasselhoff's chest?

Speaking of that. Check out this awesome site.

No comments:

# Pieces Written

Scripts - 3

4 if you count re-writing Sleeping Beauty, Hillbilly-style, in High School

Novels- 1 + .1 + .7

Can I count my 14 or so mentally composted story ideas? No? Drat.

Short Stories - 2

I'll say two officially, so far (one of those still needs to be typed up)... I lost at least 2 of my old ones and I've wiped the slate clean.

Poems- 3...4? 42?

I won awards for 3. After that I lost count.