Thursday, July 10, 2008

For Fear of Blank Spaces

Blank spaces really are terrifying, when you're staring at a deadline. If you let them, they can lead the mind straight to the same blankness.

We've set the end of July as our deadline. 3 weeks. And this weekend I have a 3 day weekend thanks to some unavoidable errands on Friday. In preparation for the planned fantastic and extensive work I will do on my script this weekend...no, really...I plugged most all of my latest hand-written notes into the computer document and printed myself a fresh gleaming copy to mark up. And believe me, there's plenty of wide open prairie land on those pages, free for the marking!

For pure fiction I can easily write either on or off the computer. My brain flows better with a pen, but I can manage either way. However, I have this odd process for script writing. Almost none of the script first appears on the computer. I have a continual rinse and repeat cycle where I write furiously on paper until the paper is barely legible, then I plug it in and organize it on the computer. I can then print out a new copy and do it again.

I couldn't have reasoned this process out in advance, but it works beautifully for me. My brain just seems to work better with a pen in my hand, only stopping when the mass of blue begins to obscure the structure beneath. The only real evolution to this process has been learning where to incorporate blank spots so I have pen breathing room. On this latest printing the blanks are definitely crushing the blacks in sheer size, hence the near-panic at times.

The only solution is to write. And if I can focus on one scene at a time, step by step, I will get through it.

2 comments:

ADDhole said...

I would say something but I'm drawing a blank.

Jamie said...

Oh no, three weeks? I remember when you said "July," and then we decided on "July 31st" to stretch it out, and how far off it seemed. Now it's only three weeks away? Glgh!

# Pieces Written

Scripts - 3

4 if you count re-writing Sleeping Beauty, Hillbilly-style, in High School

Novels- 1 + .1 + .7

Can I count my 14 or so mentally composted story ideas? No? Drat.

Short Stories - 2

I'll say two officially, so far (one of those still needs to be typed up)... I lost at least 2 of my old ones and I've wiped the slate clean.

Poems- 3...4? 42?

I won awards for 3. After that I lost count.